SDG Philanthropy Platform
About the project
The SDG Philanthropy Platform, until recently the Post- 2015 Partnership Platform for Philanthropy is a multi-year initiative led by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Foundation Center and Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors (RPA), with funding support from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, The MasterCard Foundation, Ford Foundation and others. It was launched globally in July 2014, and in Colombia un March 2015, to nurture a more active and coordinated engagement by philanthropic organizations in the implementation and localization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)—also known as the Global Goals—that were adopted at the historic United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Summit in September 2015.
It is a global project that in its first 2 year phase is being developed in 4 pilot countries: Kenya, Colombia, Indonesia and Ghana.
From idea to reality
The organizations partners of the project began to converge their efforts in early 2014 in a participatory and consultative process. A March 2014 convening organized by the Hilton Foundation and UNDP brought together foundations and networks interested in the greater engagement of philanthropy around the SDGs. The forum was opened by UNDP Administrator Helen Clark and built upon earlier convening held by the Ford and Rockefeller Foundations. Participating foundations continued their deliberations at the Worldwide Initiative for Grantmaker Support (WINGS) Forum 2014 in Istanbul, the Salzburg Global Seminar on Philanthropy as a Catalyst for Social and Financial Transformation, the 2014 Annual Council on Foundations meeting, the Development Cooperation Forum in Istanbul in June 2014, and other events. Responding to this imperative and building on the outcomes of the various meetings are three strong organizations committed to the implementation of the Platform, and incorporating a deeply collaborative approach. UNDP, the Foundation Center and RPA each bring a unique set of assets that are critical to this project’s success.
What we do
· Create an enabling environment for philanthropy to work towards SDG and the 2030 agenda, using shared frameworks.
· Advocate message of philanthropy at country policy dialogues locally and globally.
· Create systematic entry points for collaboration.
· Facilitate multi stakeholder partnerships around specific goals and between philanthropy among key actors of development: UN System, governments, private sector and academia.
· Provide development data on philanthropy that contributes to fostering meaningful transformative initiatives.
· Help improve philanthropy practices to increase confidence in the sector.
How we do it
Outcomes phase 1 (2014-2017)
|Donors Budget||200.000 USD|